Saturday, November 7, 2009

I found a really cool book, called Korean Folk and Fairy Tales by Suzanne Crowder Han and thought I'd share some of the stories with you.

(Just a quick something to remember: Haneunim was believed to be the Celestial Emperor of the Heavenly Kingdom who ruled over everything. He rewarded the good and punished the bad. He wasn't worshipped in any way.)

Why pig's nose is short

One day a very long time ago Haneunim called for chicken, dog and pig to appear before him. When the three heard this, they began to worry. On their way to the palace, each one thought about his past and what he may have don wrong.
"I command the three of you to go down to Earth and try to do something kind for humans," said Haneunim when the three came before him. "Do you understand?"
"Yes, Your Majesty, we will do as you command," replied the three in unison and they left on their mission.

On Earth each one exerted himself to try to do some work to help humans. Time passed and one day Haneunim called for the three to appear before him again.
"The three of you were sent to Earth to help humans. Please tell me what you did to help them." Chicken spoke first. "I informed them of the time, Your Majesty."
"You informed them of the time?"
"Yes, Your Majesty. Every day at daybreak I crowed to let them know it was time to get up and start a new day. If I didn't let them know it was time to get up, they would just sleep and never get any work done. Moreover, every day I provided them with eggs which they could use to make very tasty foods."
"Well, you certainly helped humans. And, because you did,I am going to award you this red ornament to wear on your head. Please wear it from now on."
"Thank you, Your Majesty," said Chicken in a humble voice.

"And what did you do for humans?" said Haneunim, turning to dog.
"I guarded their houses, Your Majesty."
"Why did you guard their houses?"
"In the day time humans go out to work and at night they sleep very soundly because they worked very hard during the day. I thus guarded their houses during the day and protected them from thieves during the night."
"Does this mean you never slept?"
"No, Your Majesty. I slept in the afternoon when humans were home doing their housework and having their meals."
"I see," said Haneunim, nodding his head. "You also worked very hard for humans. As a reward I am going to give you a fourth leg. Life should be much easier for you with four legs that with three."
"Oh, thank you, Your Majesty. I will be always thankful," said Dog, bowing humbly.

"All right, Pig," said Haneunim. "Tell me how you helped humans."
"Kkul, kkul."
"What do you mean grunting like that? I asked you a question!" stormed Haneunim.
"I'm sorry, Your Majesty. I tried and tried to think of a way to help humans but everything I thought of, Chicken and Dog were already doing. No matter how hard I thought, nothing good came to mind. So, all I did was eat what humans gave me and slept."
"You no good swine! I ordered you to try to help humans but all you did was eat and sleep. You disobeyed me so I have no choice but to punish you." And with one swing of his mighty sword, Haneunim cut off Pig's long nose.

Ever since then, pigs have had short pug noses and go around sniffing and grunting whenever they are hungry, chickens have had red coxcombs and dogs have lifted their hind leg when urinating so as not to defile their gift from Haneunim.

No comments:

Post a Comment