Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Zanzibar Day 6

The big pack took place before breakfast, such a mission as I have once again manage to accumulate a lot of stuff! This time breakfast wasn’t just a quick croissant, but eggs Benedict. You’d be so proud, I didn’t have proper bacon and eggs on this trip 

We checked out and departed on the Freddy Mercury Tour. This was really disappointing as he is one of my idols and I must be honest by saying I think the zanzibari’s made up this tour. The first stop is a dilapidated building with rubbish all around it and supposedly was the place where Freddy’s parents worshipped. Then they take you to where his mother worked in the court as a cashier. That’s where we stopped the tour  We did however stop where he was born – this is now a shop. We shopped and walked around in Stone Town and then we were off to the airport.

I was sad to leave the sun and awesomeness of Zanzibar. I flew to Dar Es Salaam, which is just an half hour away. In dar es salaam I wrapped my luggage and went to check in. at the check in counter they told me that my flight didn’t exist. WHAT? Flights to Johannesburg were only on Wednesdays, Friday’s and Saturdays. So I text my mom and the office to give me airtime so that I can phone around and sort this out. By that stage I was so gatvol, hot, sweaty and dirty from lugging my luggage around and just wanted to get home. Quite frankly I was near tears and felt hopeless.

Eventually the airline put us up in some kind hotel and I was in the transfer to the hotel stuck in Tanzanian traffic when my manager phoned. She said to turn around and transfer back to the airport and that I was flying to Nairobi instead. The driver couldn’t turn around as he had other passengers so dropped me off on the side of the road and found me a taxi. I made him promise it’s safe and exchanged numbers with everyone just in case. The taxi driver took me back to the airport for 10 000 TSH. It was quite an experience, but I was too tired and gatvol to care. I just wanted to get back to the airport.

I checked in for my flight to Nairobi and waited patiently to depart. The flight was delayed but finally took off and headed to Kenya. We arrive in Kenya at about 22h00 (I think). A driver was waiting at the airport for me to take me to the Serena for a few hours sleep. James was very sweet and told me all about Nairobi . When I got to the hotel I quickly checked emails, took a nice bath and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment