Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Zanzibar Day 1

Every job has it’s ups and downs, mine happens to have quite a few ups. On the 14th of October I had the opportunity to travel to Zanzibar on a site inspection. Things were arranged in such a way that I fly up two days before my colleague, Tessa, and the clients arrive. Just a bit of time for me to explore Zanzibar and familiarize myself 

The trip started off in a massive rush in the office trying to get the last loose ends tied and a bit of traffic enroute to the airport.

The first flight to Johannesburg was perfectly fine and we even received delicious food. Woolies pesto salad and cottage pie is really not a bad way to start something…anything really.

I had three hours to hang around in Johannesburg and decided to go check out the Bidvest Premiere Lounge to see what they can offer for groups. The lady showing me around was super nice and offered the lounge for me to wait until my flight departs. Free food and drinks – awesome!

The second flight was not so cool. It’s a tiny airplane with lots of people crammed in for four hours. It felt like I was sitting on one of those crammed African busses that you regularly see on tv. The flight was delayed and we only departed 20 past 12 in the middle of the night. The crew onboard did not switch the lights off once and the big dude next to me LOVED his cashews and bubblegum. If there is one thing I cannot take then it’s someone who can’t eat properly. I think that somehow the more I travel the more claustrophobic I get…weird! Anyways so I just listened to my ipod and tried to read my book. In the end I think I got about 40 minutes sleep at most.

So we arrive in Tanzania at 04h20. Wat ‘n belewenis?! WOW! First of all everyone arrives and all you see in the arrivals hall are wooden desks with white and blue papers. Everybody started filling these in, not really knowing which one is the one you’re supposed to fill in. Eventually a security guard showed up, advising everyone that this is where you pay your visa. After a long visa que and passport control and all of that I find my checked in luggage on the floor next to the carousel. In Johannesburg I was told that my luggage would be checked all the way through to Zanzibar… so do I leave it, do I take it? My mom’s airport paranoia kicked in and I picked up the bag and went looking for the check in counters. I found another South African couple also looking for the check in and decided to tag along and follow them  Even at 5 o’ clock in the morning it’s already humid and sticky outside. We found the security check, which was outside and once again waited in line. Another paranoid thought crossed my mind – Is Tanzania a Malaria area? Cause if it is … shit! I know Zanzibar is, and that means that I’ve just embarked on a trip without any malaria tablets. I do have tabard though…

I haven’t seen much of the place as yet and have been too scared to take pictures. Even though all the security guards are really nice and full of jokes, I’ve got a funny feeling that you don’t want to see their bad side. The sun was only coming up as I was waiting to board flight PW450 to Zanzibar. YAY for island life!


The flight from Dar es Salaam to Zanzibar was over before it even started. It’s a quick hop and then you are on the island. Coming in was the most spectacular sight ever – tropical water and forest as far as the eye can see. On arrival I was transferred to the Serena Inn hotel in Stone Town, just 10 minutes away. At the Serena I was mat by incredibly friendly staff and a delicious Bungo juice welcome drink. Bungo is one of the many fruits that can only be found on the island. I went up to my beautiful prime room on the second floor overlooking the pool and the ocean to freshen up. Once I was human again I took to the streets exploring. The streets of Stone Town aren’t exactly clean, but aren’t super dirty, it’s got a great island vibe to it and has a lot of hidden secrets waiting for you to discover them.




The weird thing I picked up was that there wasn’t a lot of women out in the public, only men wondering around, resting and then wondering a little further. My guide later explained to me that this was because it’s Saturday and that the women preferred staying at home and looking after the children.


I went back to the hotel for a quick site inspection then met up with my guide and driver for the day. Mohammed and Safe took me to see the Mangapwani Beach BBQ site which is the Serena Inn hotel’s private beach area about 45 minutes away. It’s a beautiful setting on a private beach with a restaurant located in the forest. Thereafter we went to Mtoni Ruins and to see the Mtoni Marine restaurant. Finally we made it back to Stone town to view a few restaurants. All the restaurants we viewed were surprisingly clean and the friendliness of the locals really impressed me. Our last restaurant was Mercury Restaurant – named after Freddy Mercury. Freddy Mercury was born in Zanzibar and lived there before he moved to London and became famous. The space where the restaurant now stands is where Freddy normally went for drinks and performed for the locals for fun. I almost got ran over outside the restaurant – you can imagine how excited I was to experience a little bit of the legend’s history! I was standing outside the entrance behind a combi/taxi/mini van thing and was taking a video of the entrance when all of a sudden the car started reversing. I didn’t even realize and heard people call out, but only noticed it was directed at me when the car hit me. It wasn’t sore or anything and because I was so excited I just jumped out the way and continue filming, laughing a little and making some stupid comment about being a tourist (with the camera…)

My first evening on this beautiful island was spent on a Dhow sunset cruise (even though it was so cloudy there wasn’t a sunset) followed by a dinner at the Mtoni Marine Restaurant. It was really special – the dhow cruise was arranged especially for me and my guide – we had drinks and snacks on board and watch a semi sunset and then they drove me straight onto the beach at Mtoni. I was greeted by another South African, Etienne and he took my driver and I to our table. I could really experience how they run the show as there was a wedding – a mix of locals and Italians with a pregnant bride – quite interesting. We had delicious red snapper with veggies in a coconuttie sauce with a special amuse bouche that the chef prepared for us. Dinner was served on the house :) Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment