Thursday, April 12, 2012

This is Africa

Welcome to Uganda. Sitting in the back of a car making your way to Kampala is truly an experience. It's about an hours drive without traffic. Taxi's, boda boda's , busses and locals crawl the pothole infested roads. there are no street lamps, no lights, no traffic lights, no signs, just bright headlights and hooters. What an experience, what a roller-coaster ride! I have been extremely privileged to travel up into 'donker' Africa, Uganda, recently and man what an experience!

This was my second time up north and once again i find the people super friendly. Nauseating actually. It's a nice change though, it makes one think that people so poor can be so happy and so friendly. Think about it, the unemployment rate is something ridiculous like 60% or something (don't quote me on this), but still everyone is happy and it's super safe.

Kampala is the capitol of Uganda and houses about 31 million people. We stayed at the Serena Kampala Hotel situated slap bam in the middle of the city. I arrived in my gorgeous room, applied tabbard (it is a malaria area) and went to stand on my balcony. I was met by a choir of frogs, so much so that you cannot hear the people on the balcony next to yours. I was on the fourth floor overlooking the magnificent gardens of the hotel listening to the frogs sing. Reality check for sure. I'm one lucky girl! I wished for the internet to go on so that I could skype with the world and share my amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment